As I drove home to Tennessee I found myself reflecting on the past few days. The past few days turned into months, that turned into years. I have found that as I've gotten older, death is more profound. I am not saying the deaths of the loved ones before weren't profound, it's just now that I am older these people impact me more.
The first death I remember is my Papa. It broke me. I didn't understand. I was overwhelmed. I was 8. Over the next several years I lost loved ones. I was saddened by them all but I had more understanding. Now they strike me with an overstimulating way. I realize that I am getting older. I realize that my parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, husband, in-laws, and even myself will not last forever. I sit and reflect on whether my life has meaning. I sit and wonder if people will view and say things about me as I have about so many.
This past Friday this earth lost one marvelous, talented, brilliant and amazing human. I drove, thought, sniffled, and drove. One word kept coming to mind. True. Why?
She was TRUE in every aspect of her life. TRUE beauty. TRUE love. TRUE forgiving. TRUE Christian. TRUE lady. TRUE friend. TRUE mother. TRUE teacher. TRUE sibling. TRUE learner. TRUE daughter... I could go on for days. This wonderful woman had nothing but grace, class and beauty. You could go to her about anything and never receive judgement. Instead it was nothing but kindness and understanding. She wanted everyone to be themselves to their full potential. She was encouraging. She was true. There's that word again! She adored everyone for their uniqueness. She loved to have fun. She loved to listen. She loved to laugh. I could go on for hours, days, weeks, months and years about what class she exuded!
As I reflect I realize that I have had so many wonderful, loving, christian, and classy women in my life as examples. How lucky am I? I just hope that at some point in my existence I will strike someone as these wonderful women have me.
My Aunt Linda was extraordinary. If you never met her, you truly missed out! I think my lucky stars, GOD, for allowing me to know such a wonderful, true, loving woman!
I want to quote her from her letter she left all of her adoring fans. "" My surgeon in Atlanta, a deeply religious man, told me in January that healing was not only physical phenomenon, but a mental and spiritual process. He said to me very pointedly, "You have to forgive everybody." I had to think about this long and hard. We have all harbored old hurts that are hard to let go of. When my cancer first ocurred, it was as if the Lord were trying to get my attention, speaking to me about the need to reform some of my old attitudes and ways of thinking. But the doctors were so confident about my complete recovery that I didn't think about it very much, and brushed it aside. But in less than 2 years my unhealthy body heard the Lord speak again: "I didn't get your attention the first time, so let's see what your learning curve is!" Having a serious illness is life-changing. I have re-ordered my priorities and forgiven old grudges, and resolved to be a better friend, neighbor, and family membor. My illness has been a path to spiritual development. During this past year I can truthfully say that I have experienced no epiphanies, divine revelations, or deep spiritual insights. What I have experienced in abundance is the love of Christ through my family, friends and neighbors, including you.""
All I can end with is wow! What a extraordinary, marvelous, wonderful, and TRUE human being!
No comments:
Post a Comment