Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Old Adjective!

So, my roots are real. I am southern. I have an accent. I am real. My child is smart. I am married to someone other than my roots. I have hesitation. So when I went to meet my husbands relatives I held back. I didn't want them to think I was dumb....hence honey boo boo child. I didn't want them to think all southerners, or those with accents, grew up in trailer park. I grew up in a house. A house shaped like a barn, a house my daddy built, with his hands, from the ground up! A house I knew. We never moved. The house is awesome! 3 bedroom (upstairs), 2 baths (upstairs), a full bath, kitchen and 2 living rooms downstairs. While I was there the other downstairs room was a "back room...junk room". Now that I am gone the back room is amazing. It is awesome what parents can do with money they save!!! The money before went to mine and my sisters education! My parents (Mama and Daddy) wanted us to have the best. THey went without so we could have. My daddy was a public school teacher. He cared. He tried very hard to teach the kids. He was a construction school teacher. They built a house every year. They sold the house to a fellow American. He was willing to help. The last year he taught, a kid set the ladder to fall. My dad was the next one down. I remember going to "help my Mama, pick him up" and him staggering to the door. I fell. I was young. Daddy clammored into the car and a "kid" told my Mama what happened. I remember listening. I was mad. I was heartbroken. I wanted to get even. We had to take him to the doc. How dare this kid do this??? To my daddy? MY DADDY? That was the last year my dad taught. I remember. My parents gave up for me and my sister. They paid for private school. My daddy was in the midst of public school in the county he taught but realized he wanted us to have the best (thanks Mama). I went to a private school. I learned. I struggled. Yet I never faultered! I love my parents for the struggle they endured. I know now that they did it for me. I struggle daily for my child. I want the best for her. I want her to strive. I want the best. So to those who want to challenge us...Good luck! Challenge taken! You will not win!!!

No comments: